Design Create Innovate
Mardi Gras Mask Pendant
by Sam Katz
•Amate Studios Designer Collection Antique Square Pendant Tray #177 in silver.
•Polymer clay (For this project, I chose Premo):
About 1/4 block of
1/4 block of any red (or other color for feathers/leaves)
(of coures you can choose any other colors if you wish)
•Either a clay dedicated pasta machine or acrylic roller
•An X-Acto knife
•Pearl-Ex Powder in a contrasting color
•2 round beads
•a clay “needle tool” (or a large needle)
•28 guage craft wire & wire cutters
•a texture plate, rubber stamp ot textured item
•a spray bottle for water
•Any cyanoacrylate glue.
•A small ceramic tile (6”x6” works well)
1. Condition clay-for this project, you can condition all of your colors together.
(If you are not familiar with conditioning polymer clay, you can go to:
for a short video.(You will need to create a free account, but it is fast & easy)
2 After your clay is conditioned, roll a sheet of
3. Spray your texture plate, rubber stamp or textured item with a fine mist of water & press evenly into your
4. Place your pendant face down on your clay & press gently to make an impression of the space you want to fill.
5. Using your X-Acto knife, trim around your piece, following the indentations made by pressing the tray into the clay as a guide.
6. Gently fit your raw clay piece into the pendant tray.
•It should be an exact fit so you may have to bend & cajole it a bit to get it in -be patient.
•Once you have the clay in the pendant tray, gently press with your fingers to ease out any air
bubbles that may be caught under the clay.
7. Cut your mask out of the Pearl Green sheet with the X-Acto knife & soften the edges by pinching
with your fingers. You can detail with the same or a different texture or leave it plain. Feel free to embellish the mask with little clay balls or other shapes-use your imagination!
8. Roll several different lengths of red clay (1/4-1/2”) in a tiny football shape, then press flat with your finger into a feather or leaf shape. Press in the veins with your needle tool.
9. Press your feathers gently to the back of your mask to see where you like them, then press the mask with feathers onto the textured background.
10. Cut a short piece of wire & thread it though your 1 of your “eye” beads. Twist the 2 ends together tightly behind the bead & cut off at the “twist” at the thickness of your clay background. Repeat for the 2nd eye. Push the twisted wire into the clay in the eye holes of the mask.
11. If your feathers stick out over the edge of the pendant, take a short piece of wire & push it through the center of your feather, into the background clay & pinch the clay shut to cover the end.
12. Dip your finger into the Pearl-Ex powder & gently rub it over the raised areas of the textured
background & your mask. Repeat as necessary.
13. Place piece back on the ceramic tile, piece of cardboard or a cookie sheet & bake, at the
temperature recommended by the manufacturer of the clay brand that you are using, for 20-30
minutes. Let cool.
14. Pop clay out of pendant trays & glue back in using any cyanoacrylate glue.
Party Heart-y Mardi Gras Pendant
Amate Studios Long Heart 51x27mm
Sequin Mix in green, pink and blue or your choice
Diamond Glaze™ by JudiKins
Flat-back crystals (Swarovski crystals from www.creativecrystal.com)
1. Cut some sequins in half. Cut one sequin into a point that will fit the point of the heart. Cut other sequins to fit around the curves as needed.
2. Add a layer of glaze to the pendant and layer in the sequins. Use the half sequins for any edges that show. Fill the entire pendant overlapping and varying the color and size of the sequins. Let dry.
3. Add another layer of glaze to fill the pendant and cover the sequins.
4. Add a dot of glaze to the back of flat-back crystals and glue them randomly over the top of the sequins.
Mardi Gras Mask
Amate Studios Design Person Pendant
Pardo Jewelry Clay (white, Gold speck)
Silicone Doll Face mold
Fleur de Leis Brad
Mardi Gras mask 3-D Sticker
Hot Glue gun
Ranger Glossy Accents
Designed by Susan Johnson
Amate Studios Large Circle Lipped Pendant
Strueter Glue Foil - Pink
Magic Glos by Lisa Pavelka
Tim Holtz Grungeboard - skull
Ranger Inc. Black Alcohol Ink
Ranger Inc. Black Paint Dauber
Ranger Inc. Glossy Accents
Designed by Michal Rainsbarger